Caching nameserver and odd MX problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 26 00:39:56 UTC 2001

This is a bit of a mess. prepaid-phonecards.com is delegated to thebiz.net nameservers, but only iinc.com nameservers are being
published in the zone. The iinc.com domain is the same way in this regard. Also, ns2.iinc.com appears to be a CNAME (it's illegal to
point an NS record at a CNAME), and it appears that zone replication is broken between the iinc.com nameserver(s) and the thebiz.net
nameservers, with the result that the thebiz.net nameservers are serving stale data.

None of this, in and of itself, should be preventing the MX from resolving. I was able to resolve the MX from your server as well as
mine. However, all of the running around that this ugliness is imposing on resolvers (including the one embedded in sendmail) may be
causing a resolver timeout. In modern versions of sendmail, resolver timing values are configurable.

- Kevin