DNS Hardware/Software Platform & Tools

Gaines, Rhonda Rhonda.Gaines at owens-minor.com
Thu Sep 20 21:01:25 UTC 2001

I've been tasked with planning our migration to new hardware for DNS.  We're
running on the AIX platform.  The inside primary DNS is an IBM RS/6000 39H
running AIX 4.3.2 and the secondary is a Compaq Prolinea 575 (P75) running
Red Hat Linux 6.2.  The external DNS is an IBM RS/6000 397 running AIX 4.3.2
(Sprint is the secondary for the external).  We're currently running bind
8.2.2-P5 on all 3 DNS servers.  I definitely would like to stay with Unix
although not necessarily IBM or AIX.

My questions for are:
1) what hardware/software platform are list members running DNS on?

2) what version of BIND are you using?

3) if you had a wish list, what hardware, software, and DNS software version
would you use and what troubleshooting tools, if any, would you buy?

This may be a bit difficult without knowing the load of our DNS servers, but
at least give me a ball park idea of where to start.

 -thanks
  rhonda

Rhonda R. Gaines, CCNA
perotsystems @ Owens & Minor
* (w)	804.965.2949				|
* (p)	800.PAGE.MCI (pin 1433356)		|	4800 Cox Rd
* (p)   <mailto:1433356 at pagemci.com>		|	Glen Allen, VA 23060
* (f)	804.965.1906				|
* <mailto:rhonda.gaines at ps.net>		|
* <mailto:rhonda.gaines at owens-minor.com>	|