Long response for a non-authoritative answers

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Sep 20 16:37:23 UTC 2001

In article <9occrv$n2g at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Brad Knowles  <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:

>At 3:57 PM +0800 9/20/01, Bind Users wrote:
>
>>  I connect to my local bind-9.13 DNS server. I do nslookup to resolve
>>  domain names and I get a non-authoritative answer. However the
response
>>  time is very long.
>
>	Right.  That means that the answer is not in your local cache,
so
>your local nameserver has to go find the answer before it can display
>it to you.

But if the answer came from the authoritative server, it should be an
authoritative answer.  If the answer is non-authoritative, it means it
came
from the cache, so the response time shouldn't have been long.

It's possible that the servers that the domain is delegated to are all
lame, so they're returning non-authoritative responses, and the local
server is passing that along.  If the OP would tell us which domains
this
is happening with, we could verify it.

If it's happening with all domains, something different is going on.
Maybe
the local server is just really slow because it doesn't have enough
memory
(did the BIND 9 rewrite solve BIND's problem with excessive paging if it
can't keep the entire cache in RAM?).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
group.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat