Resolve domain names

Pascal Nobus pascal at nobus.be
Tue Sep 18 08:24:30 UTC 2001

> > When site A goes completely in the dark, we change the IP of
"webserverA"
> > an IP within the range of siteB.
> > If TTL is expired the domains will resolve to the IP of siteB (where
there
> > is a copy of webserverA).
>
> Are there any reasons why you can't just put the 2 IPs on your web server
> instead of having to keep changing it?  You could also do Round Robin DNS
on
> it although that would probably give you 50% connectivity.

Yes, there is a reason for it.
If Round Robin is used 50% is served on another server.

It's just in case when siteA has very great problems (like a broken fiber,
or a fire in the server-park)
In normal situation the traffic must no go to siteB (both sites have another
stuctur).

We hope we never have to use it.

Best Regard,
Pascal