forwarders

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 17 20:51:42 UTC 2001

Oliver wrote:

> Hello,
> what is the meaning of
> forward first;   ?
>
> I want to run an extra server if my main RedHat will go down and if this
> will happend the I want to forward all queries to this machine?
> Is this a good idea?

"forward first" means that if the forwarders are unavailable, the nameserver
will attempt to use ordinary iterative querying to resolve the query. For an
Internet name, for instance, the nameserver will attempt to contact the
Internet root servers or some servers delegated from there. Obviously, you
shouldn't specify "forward first" if you have no direct Internet connectivity.
Practically speaking, "forward first" only makes sense when you are using
forwarding exclusively for performance reasons.

- Kevin