is bind needed at all?

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Thu Sep 6 01:29:14 UTC 2001

Add to that the fact that in this case, the domain in question does
not really matter. What does matter is how it is delegated; and that
can quite easily be mentioned without the domain name:

	@ NS ns1.myisp.com.
	  NS ns2.myisp.com.

See? No mention of my domain at all; only an imaginary ISP's name
servers.

To answer the original question - no, you don't *have* to even have
DNS access on the mail server; though it could prove useful. How you
get that DNS access - through a local caching resolver or directly to
your ISP's (or, God forgive, someone else's) DNS servers does not
really matter.

What is interesting is whether the MTA can resolve domain names or
not. If you send outgoing mail through this server, it has to be able
to perform at least MX, ANY and A queries; if you receive mail, I
belive tat many MTAs require that those same queries can be asked
about the sending domain - but this behavior can be turned off. (In
sendmail, it's "FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')" in the .mc.)

So yes, you should have some form of DNS access on that box. How,
though, is not really an issue.

Michael Kjörling

On Sep 5 2001 20:20 -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> > According to your whois information, you live in Nova Scotia.
> > mydomain.net is in Los Gatos, California. Why would you want to try to
> > point mydomain.net, which you do not own, to your own box?
>
> People, I know that it's annoying when posters "anonymize" or "doctor" their
> domain names, but please try to resist faking credulity (as in the above), or
> at the very least give the poster *some* indication that you are doing so.
> Otherwise it just leads to deeper misunderstandings, rising tempers, and
> frankly, too much noise on the mailing list. There's nothing wrong with a
> simple "What's the real domain name?" response. It doesn't need to be any
> cleverer or more convoluted than that.
>

> - Kevin

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
Manager Wolf.COM -- Programmer -- Network Administrator
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****