SOA and zone tops?

Ian Clarke ian at lara.digitalinscription.net
Wed Sep 5 06:08:02 UTC 2001

Hi,

I'm running BIND 8.2.3 on a FreeBSD box, and I'm having a few problems. My
machine is quite happily running name services for it's own domain without
a hitch, but I when I tried to start it running a second domain, the
trouble starts. I've created separate zone files for my domains, and they
look like they are references correctly in my named.conf file, but when I
restart my nameserver, I get a couple of error messages back, being:

named[157]: db.foo.net:2: SOA for "foo.net" not at zone top "foo.net"

and then...

named[157]: Zone "foo.net" (file db.foo.net): no NS RRs found at zone top

which then results in the zone being rejected. Now, I gather that the
second error message is a result of the lack of SOA definition for
foo.net. What I'm wondering is why do I get the strange SOA message?

This is what I my db file looks like:

$TTL 86400
foo.net. IN SOA ns.bar.com hostmaster.ns.bar.com (
	2001090522
	86400
	7200
	8640000
	86400 )
foo.net. IN NS ns.bar.com
	 IN NS ns.woo.org

foo.net. IN MX 10 mail.bar.com

okay, can someone give me a *hint* as to what I'm doing wrong? It's
driving me nuts!

TIA

Ian