DNS problem

Brian Salomaki brian at gambitdesign.com
Tue Sep 4 19:25:25 UTC 2001

When setting up your clients, your primary and secondary DNS servers should
be two servers that return the same data for all zones (usually your own
master/slave, or two of your own dedicated caching machines).  Windows will
query a nameserver, and if that one works, it will keep using that one until
it fails.  If your primary failed at one point, then Windows switched to your
secondary DNS (your ISP's), and is now using that for DNS resolution. (This
does not apply to nslookup, as it is probably querying the first server on
its own, without going through Win2K's resolver.)

You should probably set up a slave server for your BIND box, and use that as
a secondary, or set up a caching server that points at your BIND box, so you
don't deal with different DNS environments.

--
Brian Salomaki
Gambit Design Internet Services