Strange behavior in dns.

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Sun Sep 2 15:57:50 UTC 2001

Deigo wrote:

> It seems that I have set up my primary dns server perfectly however my
> secondary dns is behaving rather strangely. It loads and boots
> perfectly fine but I can only query zones which I host...for example I
> own mmxpc.com and the nslookup of mmxpc.com works fine...but when I
> try to nslookup aol.com using my secondary itll say unknown
> host/domain. This happens for any computers that aren't specificed in
> my named.conf. Please reply or e-mail deigo at deigo.net

Your service provider, compusource.net, is running broken name servers.

1. ns.compusource.net is "4.9.7-t1b"; ns2.compusource.net is "8.2.3-rel"
2. both servers are on the same subnet.
     ns2.compusource.net.    172800  in      a       207.113.11.5
     ns.compusource.net.     172800  in      a       207.113.11.4
3. the soa serial number for mmxpc.com on ns.compusource.net is
1998061500
4. the soa serial number on ns2.compusource.net is 2001062801
5. as is to be expected the mmxpc.com zones are different.
6. axfr (zone transfers) are allowed.
7. the reverse zone delegation is malconfigured too.

When you talk about your primary and secondary name servers are they at
compusource.net?
If not, show the named.conf for both of your named servers.

Regards,
Jim