to lookup and not to lookup?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 1 23:47:00 UTC 2001

Michael Kjorling wrote:

> This is Microsoft's problem.

Sorry I'm not clear why you think this?

The server is switching to another name server as a question
went unanswered. It doesn't switch back till another failure
occurs. Whilst not ideal, this is a common fail over strategy in
computing, returning quickly to a failed systems is often not a
good design decision.

As it happens the Linux stub resolver works better in this case,
but whilst the RFC's recommend an approach closer to the
Linux/Unix approach, they don't as far as I know mandate it.

> > Pri DNS my.local.dns.servers.ip.addr
> > Sec DNS my.isps.pri.name.server.ip.addr

Only list name servers which supply the same answers in a stub
resolver configuration file.

Whilst I think there is a lot wrong with Microsoft's approach to
DNS this is a common configuration error, and not a bug. You
want a second internal name server with those addresses in, or
risk the single point of failure of using just your Redhat
named.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768