home.com didn't resolve for 29+ hrs??

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Oct 26 14:08:19 UTC 2001

In article <9raqo0$65n at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
baywood <baywood at nopambigfoot.com> wrote:
>I ask my DNS and it asks a root server if it doesn't have an answer.

Not if it has more specific information in its cache.  E.g. if it has the
COM NS records cached (which it almost always does) it will ask a GTLD
server.  And if it has the HOME.COM NS records cached, it will ask one of
them.

The only way to be sure you're asking a root server is to ask it manually.
When you go through your DNS, you have to deal with the consequences of all
the past queries it has performed.  Its cache could have been poisoned by
some erroneous or malicious server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA