Mail routing and MX records: trouble

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Oct 22 20:36:45 UTC 2001

In article <9r1vbc$949 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
 <pelln at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu.invalid> wrote:
> dns-auth2.crocker.com (204.97.12.57) and
> dns-auth1.crocker.com (204.97.12.58) refuses TCP queries,
>that _may_ be part of the problem.

*Very* unlikely.  Many sites block TCP to their DNS servers.  It's the
wrong way to block zone transfers, but they do it anyway.  It never causes
problems unless they don't open the filter up for their secondary DNS
servers.  Although DNS clients are permitted to use TCP, I've never heard
of one that didn't follow the recommendation to try UDP first.

>Then, there is no zone "lists.literacytent.org." Are
>you talking about the MX  ?

He never said this was a zone, he said it was a subdomain.  But since his
problem is with outgoing mail, his MX record is irrelevant anyway.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA