Hints file usage question

Nicholas Ritter ritter at lfc.edu
Wed Oct 17 03:59:00 UTC 2001

Greetings everyone,

I have a rather simple question regarding the DNS root hints file, and BIND
v8. I tried updating my hints file a while back and encountered two
problems, the files was missing the .coms, and the file would load into the
server.

I am now not able to see some domains through my DNS, and I am assuming it
is because my hints file is to old (we are talking years now.) I tried to
download the hints file from ftp.rs.internic.net, but it that server must
be screwy because I can't issue in 'ls' command. So I ask, what is the
easiest and most complete way to get a hints file (aka. db.cache file)
these days? (Seeing as how the last time I did it was over 4 years ago.)

Nicholas
NetAdmin, LFC