can reverse lookup but not name lookup

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Oct 16 14:00:58 UTC 2001

> Hi,
>
> Installed bind 9.1.0 on linux 7.1.

	I would upgrade to 9.1.3.

> This is a private network, with no connection to the internet.

	You don't have a root zone below.  Depending upon the client and
	resolv.conf settings you may be trying to look up names against
	the root zone which will use the built in hints.

	Assuming this is the only nameserver in this universe the following
	should do.

; root.zone
;
$TTL 86400
@       	      	SOA     bumper.localdomain. root.bumper.localdomain. (
				1        	; Serial
				10800          	; Refresh
				3600            ; Retry
				604800          ; Expire
				86400 )         ; Minimum
          	     	NS      bumper.localdomain.
bumper.localdomain	A	192.168.1.10
localdomain		NS	bumper.localdomain.
1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA	NS	bumper.localdomain.
0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA	NS	bumper.localdomain.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org