What to do... HELP....

Steven Sporen sporens at ecnet.co.za
Mon Oct 15 05:44:32 UTC 2001

There are a couple of things you can do. Here are a couple of solutions:

Microsoft IIS
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmind99/ht
ml/basics0699.asp
Talk about setting up a virtual cluster - may or may not help you?

You could get DNS to 'prefer' the 20Mb/s link. Either by putting in a custom
DNS response algorithm or even easier add 10 IP's to your 20Mb/s link,
because it's 10 times for capable of answering the request, then add
multiple IP's to the www.mydomain.com record. E.g.

  www.domain.com  A 202.99.9.1   #<- 20Mb/s US link (Next 10 IP's)
                  A 202.90.9.2
                  A 202.90.9.10
                  A 190.32.1.1   #<- 2Mb/s UK link

When a client requests the DNS record the DNS server responds in a
'round-robin' enabling load balancing across many servers. A browser if it
can't connect will try the next IP address in the list and thus the system
won't appear down.

Cisco make a product that Microsoft use, I believe it's called localdirector
(could be mistaken). What it does is monitor the servers which are up and
sends traffic through to them - it can also understand BGP paths making the
decisions of the IP address it responds with based on location. For example
I'm in South Africa when I request an IP address for www.microsoft.com the
device checks my AS Number and compares it to it's list of servers around
the world (which it also constantly monitors) and picks the server with the
nearest number of hops thus making it faster for me.

Hope this helps.