Bind 8.2.3, query-restart on expired NS and A record

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Oct 10 00:19:13 UTC 2001

> Ok, I can talk about this a little more concretely today because my
> thoughts have crystalized. I'll summarize my theory as this:
>
> does a bind 8.2.3 stub resolver ever overwrite existing cache entries
> with records received from an additional section for the same record?

	Well given that the stub resolver doesn't have a cache this
	does not make sence the way it was written.

	The nameserver does not refresh TTL based on answers it
	receives (though earlier versions did creating server lock).
	If the RRsets differ (other than ttl) there are rules which
	say which set is rejected.  All things being equal the
	latest one is accepted.

> how about if the existing cache entry was stale?

	Stale entries, along with the rest of the RRset, are always
	removed whenever they are encountered in the processing of
	a query.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org