Domain and subdomain from the same IP

Brian Salomaki brian at gambitdesign.com
Sat Oct 6 18:29:04 UTC 2001

Having more than one PTR record for one IP address is supported, but
generally unnecessary and not recommended.  You should probably just use pick
one of the names that you want to be the main name of the box, and add a PTR
record for that, so if you want the machine to be referred to as myco.com. :

s	IN	PTR	myco.com.

Also, don't forget to add your NS records for the file.

On Saturday 06 October 2001 02:13 pm, Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am trying to serve a domain say, mydept.myco.com and its parent domain
> myco.com from the same static IP. While other settings are more or less
> clear to me, I can not seem to understand how to set up the reverse zone
> lookup.
>
> Say my ip address is p.q.r.s, so reverse lookup entry for
> mydept.myco.com, in the named.conf will be,
>
> zone "r.q.p.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "db.p.q.r";
> };
>

> and the file db.p.q.r will start with
>
> @               IN      SOA     mydept.myco.com.  root.mydept.myco.com.
>
> Now what entry do I make in named.conf for reverse zone lookup of
> myco.com and how do I start this file (perhaps the second answer is not
> required when the first one is answered).
>
> Any help will be appreciated,
>
> Dr. Muhammad Masroor Ali

Brian Salomaki
Gambit Design Internet Services
110 E. State St., Suite 18, Kennett Square, PA 19348
DNSbox: http://gambitdesign.com