ndc stats problem on busy DNS servers

Alexis Oosterhoff alexis at bt.net
Thu May 10 06:39:19 UTC 2001

"Doug Barton" <DougB at DougBarton.net> wrote in message
news:9dbsve$ccb at pub3.rc.vix.com...

> You don't need to cross-post to the mailing list and the newsgroup, they
> are gated to each other.

Fair enough. Lesson learnt ;-)  Thanks.

> Alexis Oosterhoff wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > Bind is running as follows:
> >
> >     named -u nobody -g nobody -v /etc/named.conf
>

> First off, you should really create a bind user and group for this
> purpose. The historical use of the nobody account is to check things on
the
> system as an unprivileged user. Having user nobody owning files defeats
> this function.

Good advice. Will do this.

> Secondly, I run some nameservers on solaris and have had
> similar problems to yours with intermittent and inconsistent failures to
> dump stats. I've never cared enough about it to track down possible causes
> though.

I guess this points to my situation not being unique, and so would certainly
like to hear from anyone else who has similar problems, especially on
platforms other than Solaris.  Doung - were you running Solaris 2.6 when you
experienced these problems ?