rndc question...newbie?

Sano B Rutsen heiko at edsamail.com.ph
Wed May 9 23:40:46 UTC 2001

I have slackware7.1 and downloaded bind-9.1.1.tar.gz. I then installed it in my
system and created named.conf and the zone & reverse zone files. However, i had
no idea about the rndc.conf conf file so i just copied the rndc.conf example file
created in a subdirectory of bind-9.1.1 --> created after installation. after this i type
"rndc restar"t and then "rndc reload" and both gave me a message saying:

rndc: connect:
connection refused

is my rndc.conf file misconfigured or is there another thing that i need
to configure. This is the first time that i have installed from source and my knowlege
of bind is still limited. Here is my rndc.conf file

options {
        default-server  localhost;
        default-key     "key";
};

server localhost {
        key     "key";
};

key "key" {
        algorithm       hmac-md5;
        secret "c3Ryb25nIGVub3VnaCBmb3IgYSBtYW4gYnV0IG1hZGUgZm9yIGEgd29tYW4K";
};

any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanx.

-Heiko