All name servers on one segment?

David R. Kirk david at kirks.org
Mon May 7 16:57:44 UTC 2001

I think that it is an erroneous assumption to state that just because name
servers appear to be on the same logical network (e.g. UUNET uses
198.6.1.0/24 and 198.6.100.0/24) for its name servers) there is an
inherent problem.

If the logical network and physical network are in one location, that is
certainly a cause for major concern, a la Microsoft; if the network is
subnetted and routed in smaller blocks, or less desirably host routed,
the concern should be much lessened.

Obviously, a larger company/service provider has much greater ability
to subnet and geographically distribute address space and thus servers,
but having name servers live on the same logical network segment is
not necessarily bad; having the logical network be in one place is
definitely horrible, though.