Problem transferring a zone

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri May 4 01:25:43 UTC 2001

Looks like a zone transfer has gotten "stuck" somehow, or at least named
thinks the zone transfer is in progress when it actually isn't. On top of
that, the output from the NT side indicates that its nameserver doesn't
like the NOTIFY responses for some reason, and that's why it keeps
re-sending the NOTIFYs. BTW, RFC 1996 recommends 5 retries with an
"additive or exponential backoff for the retry interval". Sounds like the
NT nameserver is blatantly disregarding that recommendation. Of course,
with a refresh set to 15 minutes and a retry set to 10 minutes, you should
be expecting rabid zone-checking behavior anyway.

There are a couple zone-transfer-related bugs fixed in the 8.2.4 betas.
Maybe upgrading will fix the problem.

- Kevin