Why is BIND running multiple copies in RH 7.1?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu May 3 10:05:10 UTC 2001

    Steve> I've got too many copies of named running at once.

No. You just think you have.

    Steve> Having gotten my shiny-new copy of RedHat v7.1 installed, I
    Steve> opted to run BIND as I had with my previous RH 6.2
    Steve> installation.  I found that I have 6 copies of named
    Steve> running.

This is some Linux idiocy. BIND9 is threaded and on some Linux systems
each thread is reported as a process in the output from ps. There
really is only one named process executing on your system. It just
happens to have 6 threads internally for handling queries, loading
zones, etc, etc.

BTW, you should upgrade to BIND 9.1.1. There are nasty threading bugs
in earlier BIND9 releases.