unauthorized transfers

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Wed May 2 19:46:20 UTC 2001

> How do I prevent unauthorized slaves from pulling zones from my master DNS
> server?  I am running bind 8.2.3 on Redhat 6.2.

To be blunt, read the documentation - or at least the archives of this
list/newsgroup.

To be more verbose: In you named.conf file, add an "allow-transfer"
directive to the "options" section (or your "zone" sections if you
need/want finer grain control over who can transfer what zones).

For example, in your "options" section of named.conf, if you could
have:

	acl "xfer-ok" {		# known slave servers
		10.1.2.3;		# one known slave
		10.4.5.6;		# another known slave
		10.10.3/24;		# a whole subnet
	};
	allow-transfer {
		xfer-ok;
	};

This will define an access control list (acl) of the IP addresses
that you want to allow to transfer zones, and an "allow-transfer"
directive specifying this acl.

According to the named.conf file documentation, available from
<http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/docs/config> (bookmark this URL if
you don't already have easy access to the BIND man pages), if a
"allow-transfer" option is not specified, then the default is to
"allow transfers from all hosts".

Bill Larson