Proper Zone File

Mike mike at vpi.net
Wed May 2 18:11:22 UTC 2001

I am currently running Bind 8 and when I attempted to run the new version 9
I was unsuccessful. I was able to work around the initial problems and got
named to run. But once the Dns server was up and running I was not able to
any nslookups off the server. What could be wrong. I know that its not the
software but my configs.
My question is this a valid zone file for Bind 8 and 9

@  IN      SOA example.org. hostmaster at host.net. (
                           6       ; Serial
                           86400   ; refresh once a day
                           900     ; retry refresh every 10 minutes
                           2592000 ; expire after 30 days
                           259200  ; minimum TTL of 3 day
                        )
                 NS      ns1.host.net.
                 NS      ns2.host.net.

example.org.       IN      A       64.58.140.24
www.example.org.           CNAME   example.org.
ftp.example.org.           CNAME   example.org.
mail.example.org.          CNAME   example.org.
example.org.   IN   MX  5   mail.example.org.

Also is this a valid config that would work on Bind 9 for my named.conf This
is what I use on the current name server and works fine?

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        allow-transfer { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;};
        listen-on {xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;};