version.bind/TXT

syn uw syn_uw at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 20:25:12 UTC 2001

Hello,

Well I would like to thank you all for replying me so fast. I didn't knew at
all about this "feature" of BIND to return it's version number. Well I was
quite happy trying the following command on my OpenBSD 2.8 server:

dig chaos txt version.bind

and getting the following output:

; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> chaos txt version.bind
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 55055
;; flags: qr rd; Ques: 1, Ans: 0, Auth: 0, Addit: 0
;; QUESTIONS:
;;      version.bind, type = TXT, class = CHAOS

;; Total query time: 23 msec
;; FROM: kyrandia to SERVER: default -- 192.168.133.51
;; WHEN: Tue May  1 22:15:37 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 30  rcvd: 30

to see that this my name server doesn't return it's version number, so this
is disable by default with BIND on OpenBSD. A good thing to know. Anyway how
can I explicitly disable this, can someone tell me the parameter that i need
to put in my named.boot/named.conf ?

Btw: What is this class=chaos ?? Is that a sort of backdoor in bind, I never
saw this documented anywhere. And is that in all BIND versions ?

Thanks again for all your great help !

Regards,
Marc