Ideal location of external DNS

Adam Lang aalang at rutgersinsurance.com
Thu May 31 18:07:33 UTC 2001

I'd say anything on the firewall that does not specifically have to do with
the firewall should NOT be on it.  If someone gets root through that other
service, they can take down your firewall and then you are hosed.

Have the DNS server on a separate box behind the firewall.  Use port
forwarding/nat to route queries over port 53 to the internal bo that houses
your DNS server.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company