bind/script question

MegaNet Domainreg. domainreg at meganet.net
Thu May 31 13:18:28 UTC 2001

Does anyone on this list know how I would go about, usind a bash script,
finding out the status of named (up/down). I would get to know if its
currently up, it it is the script would do nothing if its down the script
would make named use the last know working boot.conf file which would be
backed up everynight. I just need to know how to check if named is up or
down and based on that have a bunch of if statements that would do certain
things. I need this because last night my name server went down and it was
because of a double entrie in the boot.conf file. Im trying to prevent this
by have a script start named and based on rather it started or not to
execute a few things, for example if for whatever reason named doesn't start
make a backup copy of that boot.conf that has problems then replace it with
the last know working .conf file. At least this way its still up until i can
look.