Basic DNS proposed setup/functionality question

Jean-Christian Imbeault jean_christian at hotmail.com
Thu May 31 02:24:46 UTC 2001

First off, thanks for bearing with me while I suffer through my DNS
setup.

I'm still very mystified by DNS so I thought I'd ask if my logic for
setting
up a DNS server and how I'm going about it is sensible or if I've missed
the
point of DNS.

We have a LAN that uses private IP addresses and is connected to our ISP
by
a firewall. (I'm assuming it does some sort of NATing since we have
access
to the Net).

Basically I want to be able to address machines in our LAN by name
instead
of IP. So I tough I'd set up a local DNS server that would answer for
queries
on the LAN for names on the LAN and pass everything else on.

This might sound like a basic question, but is this the right way to go?
Can
I simply just pass requests on to the name servers we currently use (our

ISP's I presume) and just forget about what happens next. Or will my
local DNS server be taxed by replies from the requests in passes on?
(I ask this since the local machine is an old Pentium 300 and I don't
know
if it can handle being a full fledged DNS server on top of a Samba and
http server.)

Thanks for the opinions!

Jc