Diagnosis help

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 30 01:13:31 UTC 2001

It resolves just fine for me. Both nameservers answer with the same correct
data.

What exactly do you mean by "not resolving", by the way? Are you getting
NXDOMAIN? NOERROR with 0 answer records? SERVFAIL? A timeout? Using
"dig" instead of nslookup helps to distinguish these different kinds of
errors.

If you're getting a "bad" response from somewhere, one way to track it is to
turn on host-statistics in your local caching nameserver and dump the cache
when the problem occurs. The dump will tell you where the bad answer came
from. You can also manually point your lookup tool to each of the
authoritative nameservers, but this doesn't help you if your local
nameserver is using forwarding or stub zones, etc.

- Kevin