Root name servers caching DNS entries???

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri May 25 21:18:36 UTC 2001

An authoritative answer comes from an authoritative server (master or
slave) that has been able to load the zone properly. A non-authoritative
answer comes from cache or from a master or slave that was not able to
load the zone properly. Note that a non-authoritative recursive server
may "pass through" an authoritative answer, so authoritativeness of a
particular query response does not necessarily imply that a particular
server is authoritative for a particular zone, although if you do two
queries of the same name in quick succession from the same server you'll
almost always get a non-authoritative answer for the second query (since
it's from cache) if the server is non-authoritative for the zone. So
it's a fairly good test.

- Kevin