Can't find name server address ... Question

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu May 24 17:54:37 UTC 2001

At 1:05 PM +0000 5/24/01, OTR Comm wrote:

>  I am trying to do am nslookup off a name server called
>  nst.goldenhosting.com and I get:
>
>  [WA:root at pri /root]# nslookup redtail-creations.com
>  ns1.goldenhosting.com
>  *** Can't find server name for address 216.246.89.5: Server failed
>  *** Default servers are not available

	Don't use nslookup.  It is an evil program, and should not be
used to try to obtain information from the DNS.  Among other things,
it tries to do a reverse lookup of the IP address associated with the
nameserver(s) it is using, and if that reverse lookup fails, it craps
out.

	Try using "dig" instead.

	That said, you will need to get reverse DNS fixed for
216.246.89.5 and the other machines in your network, otherwise you
will have other problems as well.

	Finally, please do not use "NOSPAM" garbage in your address.  The
newsgroup is gatewayed to a mailing list, and putting "NOSPAM"
garbage in your address is considered highly offensive.  Moreover,
most address harvesting programs I know of are intelligent enough to
remove garbage like that, so it doesn't do you any good.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */