Known Bug question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 24 01:15:58 UTC 2001

Oh, the problem exists all right. Look in the master's zone (i.e. "dump")
file. The delegations are gone. You can't tell that this happening just by
querying the master, since it's answering with the child's NS records.

Note, however, that this problem is somewhat benign
*AS*LONG*AS*YOU*STAY*AUTHORITATIVE* for the child zone, since BIND 8 mixes
glue (i.e. it'll happily serve up the child's NS records in a zone transfer
of the parent zone). However, if you ever *stop* being authoritative for the
child zone, you've got a nasty surprise waiting for you: you have no
authoritative NS records and no delegations either, so effectively the child
zone disappears off the face of the earth. Evil stuff.

- Kevin