Named is times out till restart.

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed May 23 15:21:33 UTC 2001

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 03:44:31PM -0700, Marco Nassenstein wrote:

> Thankyou!
>
> Just another question, if you don't mind:
>
> How can I find out the current version of my bind installation?

FAQ.  For the name server that comes with BIND, anyway.  I don't know
about all the rest of it.

You can find out the current version of any running name server by
saying one of these two:

	$ dig txt chaos version.bind @name.ser.ver
	$ nslookup -type=txt -class=chaos version.bind name.ser.ver

If you are looking up your current name server, you can omit the
"@name.ser.ver" from the 'dig' command or the trailing "name.ser.ver"
from the 'nslookup' command.  NOTE that the version string is not
available for old versions of BIND, and is admin-settable in newer
versions of BIND, so this is not absolutely reliable.

OR, you can look at the output from 'syslogd' when the name server
starts.

I have no idea how to determine the version of your current resolver
subroutines.

The version number of 'dig' is embedded in its output.  Not so for
'nslookup', but you can tell if it's BIND V9 'nslookup' if it says
snotty little self-deprecating things about itself and is not
completely implemented.  ;-]

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B