Eureka -- Almost !!

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Tue May 22 08:14:22 UTC 2001

>Firstly, what is the last line ?  I checked the file, and the only like
>that is 'out of zone', is the machine which is primary for company.us.com

so take it out

>However, if I try to obtain an address for a machine _not_ in the zone
>file, I get :
>
># nslookup foehn

foehn was found in your domain or searchlist, and the root servers don´t
know it either.

What I want to do in this case, is temporarily make this machine slave for
>the domain company.internal.com, force it to perform a zone transfer from
>a machine which is already running DNS here (and which I haven't mentioned
>yet) called meteore3.company.internal.com.
>
>Can I do this in the /etc/named.conf

it´s the only place you can do it.

>and then once the data is obtained,
>just 'demote' my machine to secondary ?

master/slave is a per-zone qualification.

>Second, why are zone transfers to and from cork, not working ?

you haven´t told the intended slave to be a slave for the zone?  perhaps
the master is not ansering authoritatively, perhaps the master doesn´t
allow-transfer for the slave´s ip address, etc.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.3 "NT3" for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways