Win 2K & Bind

Gary Wardell gwardell at gwsystems.co.il
Tue May 1 02:20:20 UTC 2001

Hi,

I have an NT port of Bind 8.2.3 rel running on a Win2K server just fine.

This server is part of an NT 4.0 domain though.

My understanding is that if you want BIND to "play nice", as you put it, you have to allow dynamic updates since the Wni2K TCP/IP
will try to add entries for each workstation in the Win2K domain.  I haven't had to do this since mine is an NT domain and I turned
that "feature" of the Win2K networking off. (As I recall there is a checkbox on the DNS tab to disable this).  I saw something about
this either on this list or in the MS Knowledgebase about setting up other dns products to work with Win2K and ActiveDirectory.

Anyway the Win2K machines in my network are doing fine and BIND is doing fine, of course in my configuration I don't have
ActiveDirectory.

Gary