How to clear name cache on sun solaris?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 30 22:44:30 UTC 2001

When its "hosts" cache is enabled, nscd caches *all* hostname lookups, whether
they are resolved through DNS or the /etc/hosts file. If the records come from
DNS, it disrespects the TTL values on those records, and (at least in older
versions of nscd) interferes with round-robin.

If you're running a local caching nameserver, the "hosts" cache of nscd is
nothing but a pointless waste of resources.

-Kevin