Bind 9 aware DNS management tools

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed Mar 28 13:37:21 UTC 2001

At 9:47 PM -0500 3/27/01, James A Griffin wrote:

>  I have just finished (I think) updating 'doc' to work with DiG version
>  9.+.  My effort is in support of Brad Knowles, the current maintainer
>  for 'doc'.  I'll be sending it to him when I finish reading the list
>  tonight.  At the moment Brad is unable to test my changes.  You can find
>  'doc-2.1.4', a BIND8 only version at Brad's site
>  (http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/dns/index.html).

	Unfortunately, this doesn't help with managing BINDv9
/etc/named.conf files, etc....  I think that's the primary thing he's
looking for (the correct zone file format hasn't changed in many
years).  However, you should be able to use tools that generate
proper BIND 8 /etc/named.conf files, since if they truly are
correctly formatted then they shouldn't have any problems working
under BINDv9.

	I think that the question of whether a particular DNS management
tool would actually work with BINDv9 is something that I think people
will just have to find out the hard way, preferably on a
non-production server.

	If the tool is meant to help manage BIND 8 configuration & zone
files, then try using it with BINDv9.  If it doesn't work (i.e., the
tool generates file formats that are illegal, but which BIND 8 has
been more relaxed in accepting), then you have the answer to the
question.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */