NS record question

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Mon Mar 26 23:11:05 UTC 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Bob Vance wrote:

> Thanks for your patience, Roy.
> This has been very beneficial to me (and hopefully others as well) !

anytime :-)

> > NS records at the child zone have a SIG from the child's zone KEY.
> > This is why there has to >be a distinction between NS records at
> > parent and child.
>
> Well, there you go -- that was the missing piece.
>
> You're obviously involved knee-deep (if not higher :) in BIND 9 issues,
> but it might behoove you to remember that most of us have not upgraded
> to 9 yet :)

I hope everyone realises that the development of BIND 8 is dead. No new
features, No new RR records (No A6/DNAME for instance), No full DNSSEC
implementation. The only thing that's done for BIND 8 is an occasional bug
fix.

To keep up and running with new DNS features, as in DNSSEC/IPv6 an all
that jazz, I suggest people to move to BIND-9.

> I was thinking entirely BIND8 (vis-a-vis the NS RR thingy), since that's
> as high as I've actually implemented, while you clearly had BIND9 on the
> brain :)
>
> So, the bottom line is "Do the right thing" and you'll be OK (or at
> least better off :)

Yep.

> Now, off to read the RFC.

Regards,