nsupdate records and writing to db files

HAG.Keijzer at mindef.nl HAG.Keijzer at mindef.nl
Mon Mar 26 10:22:18 UTC 2001

Aloha DNS gurus

If I use nsupdate to modify my DNS content, and shut down Named, it nicely
shuts down and writes DB files with the records obtained from nsupdate.

Question 1: Is there a possibility to force bind to write it's db files
without stopping and starting it?

Question 2: I noticed that Bind writes the TTL of the record too. if the TTL
is say, 1 day, and i shut down named after 12 hours, it writes still 1day to
the zonefile. When I start named again, it loads the zonefile again of
course, but does this mean that the record gets again a TTL of a day? (which
should mean that the TTL suddenly is 1.5 day). Not really sure what is
happening exactly.

Kind Regards / Met vriendelijke Groet,

Gody Keijzer