error on winnt nsupdate

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Mar 23 02:27:46 UTC 2001

At 11:05 AM 3/21/01, Michael S Scheidell wrote:
>I have the bind 8.2.3-rel winnt binaries from
>http://bind8nt.meiway.com/download.cfm
>
>(specifically, the utils package at
>http://bind8nt.meiway.com/BIND8.2.3Tools.zip)
>
>when I use nsupdate I get this error message:
>C:\>nsupdate
>'tty' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>operable program or batch file.

Just ignore the message.  It will work anyway.  This is one of those
irritants in porting Unix code.  Unix wants to set up a separate input stream,
but it's really not needed. On NT Ctrl-Z will terminate the input. Or you can
put in your updates in a file and reference the file on the command line.
I should probably figure out a way to suppress it, but I've been too busy
with other issues.

>I emailed meiway.com thinking that he was maintainer but he suggested I
>contact the bind list.
>
>I am running win2k workstation, sp1 with lots of pre sp2's
>
>The ../etc/resolv.conf file exists and has one entry in it

         You need at least one nameserver IP address in it and better two. It
should look like:
domain fdma.com
nameserver 216.241.67.73
nameserver 207.18.92.26
nameserver 216.36.90.98

(I'm using your own domain as an example here). The resolv.conf file doesn't
get set up on Win2K because Microsoft moved the location of the nameserver
IP addresses in the Registry and it would take some work to figure it out how
to redo it in the code. WinNT 4.0 doesn't have this problem and it can pick up
the info from the registry.

>Am I missing a config file or something?

         No.  It's not a configuration issue.  See above.

                 Danny