Huge also-noify list?

Archive User archive at xpedite.com
Wed Mar 21 19:01:57 UTC 2001

I have a bind 8.2.3 dns system that has one master setup and
55 slave servers on various networks world wide.
I also have ~200 zones to attend to.

As you know.. with a setup this large, adding or
removing an NS entry from a zone table is a
painfull process since I need to modify all 200
zone tables to add in the new NS record and update
the serial number. I could use an $INCLUDE file that
had all the NS records in it but, I would still have to
edit each zone table to increment the serial number which
is painful:(

So, I want to just list several main dns servers in each
zone table (4 or 5) and skip the rest. I was hoping I could
put the other ones in an also-notify global option in my named.conf
on the master server but it seems to freak bind out with this
many entries (50 entries in one huge line).

Bind will start but it never allows any queries and any attempt
to control it with ndc hangs. I have to kill the process to
regain control. As soon as I comment out the also-notify line
in the named.conf everything works fine again.

Any ideas? Is there a limit somewhere in the code I am hitting?
Could I make a modification somewhere in the code to make this
work?

Thanks for any help you can offer..
Mike