abnormal startup issues with 8.2.3

Mike Cathey mpcathey at catt.com
Mon Mar 19 21:51:31 UTC 2001

Hi all,
I would normally wait a while (after joining a list) before posting to
it, but I've come across a strange problem that is affecting some
mission critical systems.

My primary dns server is running on a linux/i386 (2.2.14).  When I start
named (with `named -u named), it resolves locally and for remote hosts
for ~15 seconds and then it stops for a few minutes and will not resolve
anything.  This includes requests originating from the server itself
(NOTE: on eth0 not on 127.0.0.1).  During this time the log shows AXFRs
to my secondaries, but that's about all.

I'm running dnscvsutil (it just keeps all zones in a CVS repository) to
manage the zone records.  The server is only authoritative for ~70
zones.
I tried to run named in debug mode (-d 3), but it didn't show any
helpful error messages.

I was running a binary that I compiled from source (from isc.org), but
I'm now running an rpm from updates.redhat.com, which I installed to see
if that would fix the problem.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Sincerely,

Mike Cathey

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --