I Seem not to be Notifying my Slaves.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Sun Mar 18 18:58:27 UTC 2001

	We have just upgraded our stealth primary and two slaves
which are our official masters to bind-9.1.1rc3.  Everything
including local and remote rndc control appears fine and the
stealth master is giving zone transfers to the two slaves, but
the stealth master is not sending notifies or at least neither
slave is receiving them.  Therefore, changes to the stealth
primary only show up on the slaves when the next Refresh interval
starts which is sometimes close to an hour later.

	The serial numbers are advancing properly so I may have
the stealth primary configured wrong. I do have the following
global options set on the unpublished primary:

	allow-transfer { slave1; slave2; };
	also-notify slave1; slave2;
	notify yes;

	The documentation says that all servers in the
also-notify list will be notified so I put both slave addresses
in since they are our official primary and secondary name
servers.  I got the impression that the default condition is to
notify all the name servers in the SOA but the official primary
or master.

	This should have at least caused slave2 to get notified,
but neither seem to be receiving anything at all other than
normal zone transfers when they wake up and check.

	On the two slaves, I have notify-source addresses
pointing to  the stealth primary and, as I said, the zone
transfers go properly so what else do I need to look at?

	It sounds from the documentation that I should be able to
make the slaves update themselves each time the master gets a new
serial number in its zone for that domain.

Martin McCormick