Public queries to private IP DNS. Possible?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 16 22:58:19 UTC 2001

Hmmm... I don't get the bit about the slave server "notic[ing] that
there is already [] a primary server for [y]our domain name, tell[ing
you[ that the primary on the inside is not authoritative, [and therefore
not] replicat[ing]". BIND slaves are configured with IP addresses
specifying their master(s), and if they replicate the zone properly,
consider themselves authoritative for the zone, and therefore shouldn't
really care what any other server happens to think about who is or is
not authoritative for it. The only place where authoritativeness comes
into play is that named-xfer wants the answers from the master for its
SOA serial-number queries to be authoritative, i.e. for the AA bit to be
set in the responses. If that bit is not set in the SOA responses, then
the zone transfers will fail. Is that what's happening to you? That's
strictly a matter of how the (real) master responds. Maybe you have a
syntax error in the master zone file that's causing the master to not
load the zone properly and therefore answer non-authoritatively...

- Kevin