problem with reverses and dynamic updates.

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 14 23:37:35 UTC 2001

2 possible things to look at:

1) see whether your DHCP server supports specifying the zone to DDNS
update.

   E.g., the ISC 'dhcpd' allows you to config the zones for the DDNS.  I
specify "dynamic.blah.com." for *both* the forward and the reverse so
there is only one dynamic zone being updated.
Then my reverse zone does that CNAME thingy into the dynamic zone.

2) if all you want to do is to separate the dynamic reverse updates from
the static zone, e.g., to be able to edit and format the static zone as
you like, then a limited kludge would be to use the main zone for the
dynamics and move the statics out of the zone !!

;;$ORIGIN  48.104.155.in-addr.arpa.
@   IN  SOA ...
;; static aliases :
$GENERATE 1-126  $      CNAME $.0-25.blah.com.
;; the dynamic would be added hereinafter as they occur
;; and formatting (like these comments :) will be lost

In the above example, you then have to create a sub-zone,
"0-25.blah.com"
of the forward zone to house the "real" PTRs.

Or, IMHO and depending on the complexity of your situation, even better
would be to put the static PTRs into the forward zone, right next to
their corresponding A records -- no subzones, delegations, or NS records
:

;;$ORIGIN  48.104.155.in-addr.arpa.
@   IN  SOA ...
$GENERATE 1-126  $      CNAME $.blah.com.

and in db.blah.com. :

;;$ORIGIN  blah.com.
@   IN  SOA ...
foo   IN   A   155.104.48.10
10    IN   PTR foo
bar   IN   A   155.104.48.11
11    IN   PTR bar

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511