Delegation question and nslookup wierdness

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 13 22:00:23 UTC 2001

nslookup sucks (I bet you haven't heard me say *that* before!). It only does
its helpful "recognize IP addresses and automatically convert the lookup into
a reverse lookup regardless of whether the user wanted it or not" trick if the
query type is set to "A" (the default). If it's set to anything else, e.g.
q=any, then it's even dumber than usual. If you *must* use nslookup, at least
set debug mode so you can see what strange and bizarre things it's doing under
the covers. Then walk away muttering in disgust and use "dig" instead.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "my SOA dns is not asking the
lfa.lfc.edu SOA dns for records". There's really no such thing as a
"SOA" nameserver; there are masters and slaves. If you mean that zone
transfers aren't working, note that you have "allow-transfer { none;
};" defined on the master. What did you expect?

- Kevin