host resolving to an IP not in the zone

josephc josephc at mail.etards.net
Fri Mar 9 01:58:48 UTC 2001

It was cached after the first lookup. If you do two or more quries against
most servers, then you will start seeing non-authoritive returns.

But as I was saying, it had to get that address from somewhere, pesumable
the authrative server. But that server has never had that IP address in
its zone records for any reason at all.

joe

kevin wrote:

The bogus answer was non-authoritative, meaning that it got cached from
somewhere. You could set "host-statistics yes" and next time it happens,
dump the cache. Then you'll be able to tell exactly where the answer came
from. Be aware, however, that host-statistics will increase your memory
usage...

-Kevin