PTR record handling in a subnetted network

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Mar 6 22:23:23 UTC 2001

Thanks.
Interesting.

On my little home net (16 nodes), I actually did this on the internal
side, even
though I've got the full /24 :)
A couple of $GENERATEs in the

    1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

zone, one for my  static range and one for the dynamic-update DHCP range
and now
I never have to touch that zone, again :)
The "static" $GENERATE points into the normal forward zone, "vance.",
while the "dynamic" one points into "dynamic.vance.", to which both the
forward and the reverse  dynamic updates go.

I do have the overhead of the extra lookup for the reverse lookup plus a
few
unsatisfied CNAMEs (until I add more nodes :), all of which, of course,
amounts
to nothing in my environment.

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511