starting to dislike bind..aaarrrrgggghhhhh

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Tue Mar 6 01:58:43 UTC 2001

	Perhaps, more useful, is the fact that ^M is indicative
	of a file that has "DOS" formating.  W/in VI, one
	can use the command:

	:se  ff=unix

	to "strip" the offending characters.

%
%
% 	Last time I looked the valid range for octets was 0..255,
% 	299 is not valid.
%
% 	Now named always logs a error message for every error that
% 	causes named to reject a zone.
%
% 	Mark
%
% >
% > why in the world do i get errors like
% >
% > one said that my named.conf had a ^M on line one..there was no ^M on line 1.
% > i rekeyed in a new file and all was well....
% >
% > i keep getting "zone rejected due to serial errors (serial number)"
% >
% > my freaking syntax is fine...there are no freaking errors i can see....
% >
% > here is the named.conf
% > options {
% > 	directory "/var/named";
% > };
% > zone "." {
% > 	type hint;
% > 	file "named.ca";
% > };
% > zone "test.com"{
% > 	type master;
% > 	file "test.hosts";
% > };
% >
% > zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa"{
% > 	type master;
% > 	file "named.local";
% > };
% >
% > and here is the hosts file
% > ;
% > ;		hemi's hosts
% > ;
% > ;
% >
% > @	IN SOA	mercury.test.com. root.mercury.test.com. (
% > 		1999022217	;	serial
% > 		21600		;	refresh
% > 		1800		;	retry
% > 		604800	;	expire
% > 		86400 )	;	minimum
% >
% > ;define nameservers
% > 	IN	NS	mercury.test.com.
% >
% > ;define mail server
% > 	IN 	MX 10	jebwebsrv1.test.com.
% >
% >
% > ;aliases
% > www		IN	CNAME	internet
% > mail		IN	CNAME	jebwebsrv1
% >
% > ;hosts in this zone
% > localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1
% > jebwebsrv1	IN	A	299.299.52.2
% > mercury	IN	A	299.299.52.5
% > internet	IN	A	299.299.52.4
% > ;end
% >
%
% --
% Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
% 1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
% PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
%

--
--bill