Slave Server Issue?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Mar 5 22:45:35 UTC 2001

At 3:37 PM -0500 3/5/01, Jeff Bethke wrote:

>  Follow up to ealier post...
>  I have 8.2.3. on a slave server that can
>  nslookup everywhere... but now when i try to get any machine to use it as
>  a NS i get this on the client:
>  *** Can't find server name for address 156.124.12.19: Non-existent
>  host/domain
>  *** Default servers are not available

	That's an old version of nslookup, which tried to do a reverse
lookup of the nameservers configured in /etc/resolv.conf, and if that
fails for all the servers so listed, it refuses to run.

	Short answer -- don't use nslookup, use dig instead.
Alternatively, remove the old version of nslookup (or disable it so
that it can no longer be executed) and replace it with the version of
nslookup which comes with BIND 8.